My Blog List

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The birds are back!!!

My school bus route takes me through some very pretty local countryside.  Among the scenery, I happen to enjoy almost every day, is the kettle of Turkey Vultures that migrate to Kiser Lake each year.  I have watched them come and go as the seasons change, and can almost pinpoint the day they arrive and depart.  My first sighting of them, this year was 2 days ago, as they were prominently perched in their favorite tree, overlooking the lake.  I quickly counted approximately 15 of them.  As I wound my way through the park, I noticed 3 more trees filled with my feathered friends.  It is so nice to have them back.  They will be here until about the last week of October, when they will take flight to their winter habitat.

I have taken many photos of them over the years, but none turn out very well.  They are skiddish around human interaction.  I have read that they are quite gentle and non-aggressive birds.  They stick together in a community, like people do.  I think I realized these things when I saw them on the shoreline with the Canadian Geese.  The geese did not fear the ominous looking vulture.  They stood side by side  as if they were hanging out together!



So many times, I have driven my bus through there and the vultures would be in small groups as if they were making plans for the day, deciding who was going to fly where and who was going to be the one to stay home and keep an eye on the home-tree.   I have made up so many stories in my mind about their adventures and I thought about writing a book, but it has not come to fruition, yet.

I will keep my eyes on the road, but glance around to see my feathered friends soaring above me, here and there.  It is just nice to know they are back.  It also tells me that the signs of winter are past and we can look forward to spring, summer and fall.

No comments: